Saturday, August 16, 2008

First stop: London - now with more detail! ;-)

I've edited this post and added some detail since I first posted it under time pressure at an internet cafe.....

It's lovely being back in London. I always feel the second time you go to place is far better, because you're not feeling the pressure of getting around to all the tourist stuff. You can just follow your nose a bit more. Yesterday I wandered round town, I covered a lot of ground. The highlight was stumbling across Borough Market, on the other side of the Thames to the city. It was a wonderful food market, lots of organic produce, wine, and baked goods. The Borough itself was pretty much abandoned, but the market was really bustling. A little breath of life in what was an otherwise unremarkable area. I also explored the University of London. I know that's a bit dorky but I'm interested in different uni's, their vibe, their grounds, their departments. It was good to go, the museum studies department had a China exhibition on display, so that was a bonus, I guess. I did other things other than eat and suss out future workplaces...I swear.

I'm going to see Marguerite at the Theatre Royal tonight, I'm excited about that. I tried to get tickets to see King Lear at the Globe, but it was all sold out. Still, how can you go wrong with a West End musical?

Today I've been working my way through various markets (Portobello, Cabbages and Frocks) and have had a series of public transport problems, largely due to someone tragically throwing themselves under a tube train, disrupting many lines. I dare not complain bout the inconvenience it has caused me. The Cabbages and Frocks market was small, but led me to a fantastic area in Marylebone High St with fantastic specialty shops, boutiques, and a great series of cafes and deli eateries. I was in heaven. And Portobello Road was just as I imagined from watching Bedknobs and Broomsticks about a million times as a kid. I had wandered this area before, but not on a weekend when the markets are on, so it was far better this time. Lots of excellent stalls, interesting people and good food, plus it was totally packed and I really liked the hustle and bustle. I really loved it.

Largely I've been happy with my own company the last few days. I have small talk with some of the people at the place I'm staying, but I'm not really hanging out with anyone else. I've enjoyed getting around on my own. Beth's brother and I have tried to organise a time to meet up over the weekend, but to no avail. My book is my companion. If I pull it out whenever I'm on my own, I no longer look "alone". This is especially useful when dining alone. If I read at the same time, it seems as though it's my choice, rather than by necessity.

I'm particularly happy about the weather. Yesterday was beautiful, and today, despite forecast rain, was fairly mild and somewhat sunny. Not a drop of rain as yet.

For those of you who are concerned about such things, yes I got here safe, yes I found my accommodation, yes it is definitely on the dodgy side (room comes complete with a used condom, and as much cold water as I like) though conveniently located, and I'm not really jetlagged (thanks to seeing a movie to keep me up last night, and some special tablets on the plane).

Photos on facebook....

I'm in London for a couple more days before going to visit Filippo in Milan on Monday.

1 comment:

kristenwillis said...

wow.completely vivid update -in both photos and blog. it all sounds so fantastic. hope the sun keeps shining -kristen xx