Monday, August 25, 2008

moving on

Yesterday we had a slow start, and around midday caught the train to Monterrosso, the last of the 5 towns. It's more of a beachside feel, with a more sprawling village that follows the landscape back off the coast. The beaches were packed out with umbrellas and deck chairs that cost a fortune to hire, so we opted for a tucked away pebbly little beach for a swim. The water was so warm, and there even a few small waves. Looking back from the beach we saw ots more farmland than in the other villages, with huge villas nestled into the mountainside.

This morning we leave for Tuscany. We're going to pick up a car in La Spezia and drive to a farmhouse/vineyard just outside of Siena. It's always hard to pack up and move on, but I'm looking forward to the next stage of the trip.

Things are quieter here in Vernazza today...the weekend is over and everyone's having a very slow start, and there's no day-trippers like other days. This morning we had a standing espresso at a bar, and basically we're hanging around waiting for things to open so we can kill some time before the train comes. The internet place opened at 9:40, and the breakfast place opened at 9:10...unusually specific times. I was told to wait a minute and a half before I could come in and use the computer in the internet place, so they're quite strict about this 9:40 starting time!

The highlight of this morning has been reading comments on my photos...apparently you all think I'm wandering round town naked and posting photos of my nudist advenutres. I can reassure you I'm wearing clothes, at least cossies, at all times. Apparently I need to be more careful to include my clothes in the pictures to avoid confusion. Duly noted.

No comments: