Sunday, April 5, 2009

Some recent stories

I've been writing a lot for my thesis lately (well, relatively...) and so I haven't really felt like composing stories for my blog in my spare time. But they say absence makes the heart grow fonder - or fondness makes the heart grow absent, depending on who you listen to - but I'm going to assume the former is true and that you're welcoming the return of late night installments.

This week saw the farewell of Rob from 139B in the School of Psychology. Rob had become an institution in 139, so it really feels like a season of change with him gone, though the changes have been coming for a long time, with Sam then Leila leaving and Larissa moving offices. Carly is next in line to move on, and then I'm hoping it's a tie between Larissa, Little Bec and I. 

I like my new roomie though. Her name is April and she's definitely a welcome breath of fresh air. I taught her when she was a 3rd year student. So that makes me feel old and like I've been around too long.

Last night I had dinner with Shan out at her place in Picton. Unfortunately I got there too late to play with Chi, but he did wake a little while I was there so I got to say hello. Shan and I had a good catch up, and got sucked in to that Medium show. It's quite repetitive. Bad dream, solve a crime, bad dream, solve a crime...

After spending today with Christie and Duncan and their adorable Isabel, I met up with Jules and Cass and co. to see Tim Minchin at the Enmore. Reviews suggested he wouldn't live up to expectations, and I guess he didn't. I've only seen him once before, in 2004 I think. My memory of that show was that it was clever and amusing social commentary. This show, while amusing, was not especially clever (the humour was much "bigger" and more predictable) nor insightful. But what do I know? The rest of my group thought it was fantastic. I laughed, I had a good night, but it wasn't wonderful. 

We finished the night with a group craft project...I was trying to make something for a baby shower I'm going to tomorrow. I'm not very good at making things, but I was asked to. Jules, who is far better at arts and crafts, was trying to create something for me but in the end became too frustrated with the lack of materials I had provided, threw it all aside and declared "I won't work under such conditions", or something to that effect. Temperamental artist. 

No comments: