Monday, January 19, 2009

Nordic Weekend

A couple of bloggers (here and here) have menioned the weekend already, but for independent fans, I went away for the weekend and it was tops.

I'd never heard of Nord's Wharf before the dual dictators found us a house there, but boy am I glad I know about it now. Although the house wasn't beach-front, it was right by Lake Macquarie and the beaches close by were absolutely beautiful. But I wasn't that focussed on the beach this weekend. I was more interested in friends and my two books. Sunday arvo at a long white beach with warm water that we had all to ourselves was simply a bonus. Plus I got to talk to my friends and read my second book while I was there, so I was well satisfied.

Though I was rostered on for one clean-up and one dinner, I think by far my most significant contribution to the weekend was introducing Psychologizer to a new fan base. That game accumulates devoted players wherever it goes.

Mil and I thought we broke the door as we were leaving. Turns out we just don't know how to work a screen door. We sent others in who specialised in the opening and closing of doors, but they decided to deftly delegate the door job to the cleaners instead. I suspect that the cleaners were more likely to clean the door than fix the door. But I'm sure it's the cleanliness of the door that will stand out to the owners upon their return.

Today Jo, Jane, Mil, Jem and I had a fun time shopping, always trying to hold in tension the goal of purchasing a wedding dress with our aversion to crazy bridal stores. We did good, and rewarded ourselves with Coronas at the Duke.

I got home and Beth and Leila had sushi waiting, which made me very pleased that I hadn't stopped at Heathcoate maccas for dinner. We ate sushi and then went out for drinks to celebrate our last night together. Tomorrow I go to camp, and Leila moves on Thursday. It was a really good time. We reminisced, we watched Federer on the big screen at the North Gong, we laughed, and we drank beer.

Tomorrow I pack up and go to camp which I'm very excited about. It's been nice to be away for a few days before camp. Partly because it means I couldn't do any last minute jobs. But also because I feel like I'm going in well-rested and well-prepared. Mostly what I mean by that is that I feel spiritually prepared, though pragmatically I'm reasonably prerpared too.

Goodbye Nord's Wharf, hello Nowra Waterslea Camp Site.

No comments: