Sunday, January 11, 2009

w/e

My weekend has been very disparate. It has kind of funnelled in as time has gone on.

Friday: Jo and Victor's celebrations were lots of fun. I even got to spend some time talking to the guests of honour, which you never really expect to be able to do at these kinds of things. So that was lovely. I also met lots of new people (or almost new people), and I got to talk to Keith about NCLS for a long time, which is a conversation that has been 2 years in the making. Originally Keith thought I was someone that Ryan knew from the vege co-op, Mil explained to him that I wasn't exactly a vegan-diet, vege co-op kind of girl, but in fact I was the girl who always asks about NCLS.

Saturday: Despite expecting to be stressed about work and wanting to go home to be productive, by 10am I didn't care about work at all and decided to throw caution into the wind and have a kind of last hurrah day of fun with Beth. She came into Newtown early and we had coffee and a quick breakfast before seeing Slumdog Millionaire. I'm disregarding all the negative stuff I've read about it being too contrived and sentimental. Yes it rests on assumptions that are at times implausible, and the plot is driven forward by a series of highly unlikely coincidences that don't seem to be recognised as such....but guess what? It's a movie not a doco. I really enjoyed it. The first half hour I was holding back a gag because lots of the images were either disgusting or confronting or terribly sad. The ending was a great sense of relief, even if you need to suspend your brain in favour of your heart. See it, and don't be too harsh.

The rest of the day we spent wandering around having lunch and coffee, and going into the city to seek out a vintage clothing sale we'd read about online (I found a fab dress). In the evening we had beer and prawns on the beach back in Wollongong. We sat on the wall at North. It felt like a date, but we're ok with that.

Sunday: All alone, writing programs and bible studies and workshops.

So this weekend I've transitioned from lots and lots of people, to one special person, to just me. I wish all weekends were like this.

No comments: