Tuesday, October 14, 2008

quotes

I was marking exams all day and one of the things that prevents me from going completely insane when I do this is the funny stuff I come across as I'm reading my students' answers. When asked to define the different concepts that make up a particular theory, one student wrote:

attitudes: this refers to your attitudes
perceived behavioural control: this refers to the peceived control of behaviour
subjective norm: this is the norm, subjectively evaluated

Nice try.

When commenting on the usefulness of said theory, one student wrote:

"This theory is good to use when predicting behaviour, if you don't really believe in 'The Secret' that is..."

The psychologists of the future are comparing sound psychological theory that has been verified by scientific and clinical research for decades with 'The Secret'. This is perhaps the cause of some concern.

The other day I was marking assignments that were based on a court visit the students had to do. One student, throughout her whole paper, had written "The moisture said..." and "They referred to the moisture as 'Your Honour'". I think she meant the magistrate. Sometimes spell check doesn't do people any favours.

No comments: