Sunday, October 19, 2008

stuff about the weekend

I've been reprimanded for not blogging regularly enough this week. Apologies to the one person who cares!

I've had a great weekend, full of music and friends. Fri night I went to the Regent with Jo to see Katie in a show. I guess it was kind of like a variety show. It was a fundraiser, with really high quality performers...dancers, freestyle rappers, musical medleys, original compositions, bands, dramas, you name it. Most were high school students, with some returning child stars! Gosh it was good. It was fab to see Katie performing, but I was also really blown away by the talent of some of the young people.

Part way through the show Jo pulled out her phone, a pen and some paper. I thought she was just doing some personal admin, perhaps making a to-do list, or checking the dates of something, so I ignored it. After quite a while I asked her "Jo, what are you writing about?" and she replied "Oh, I'm just timing my contractions". Huh??!!! was my reply, or something equally as helpful. Why didn't you tell me? Why were you just sitting here in your usual no-fuss way saying nothing? Are you ok? Are you in pain? Were the more specific questions that followed. She was fine, it was just braxton-hicks and she wasn't in pain. But anyway, it was funny and so very Jo.

Saturday was the paper, a walk, and a Lee and Me lunch with lovely old friends. We talked about weddings, and blogging, and food and coffee and the "global financial crisis" and how for the first time in my adult life I'm at an advantage for not having any assets. Then, a relaxing afternoon followed by dancing all night in other people's sweat to Franti with other friends who made the trek down from miscellaneous Sydney suburbs. My calves hurt today, but oh was it worth it. Midnight cokes and strawberries in the middle of the road ended the night. It was a wonderful Saturday from beginning to end, full of things that make me happy.

Today has been almost completely a ministry-free Sunday. It's energising to have some time off. I love it, but to not have the responsibilities every now and then makes me not only appreciate the down time more, but also do things more authentically and holistically and energetically when it all starts back up again.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I care

Jess said...

:-) Thanks Mil!

Unknown said...

I care!
I was gonna mention to you that your postings were not as frequent but I also don't want to come across as a stalker:)
luv you jessica!